Tour de Gruene Counter

Thursday, September 8, 2011

New Gaming Computer

I haven't been able to sleep for 3 days because I ordered my parts for my game computer.  They finally arrived yesterday.  I bought an AMD 955BE CPU, 8 Gb of Corsair RAM, a Gigabyte motherboard, and a new power supply so that I don't blow it up.  Cost me just shy of $500.  But, you couldn't buy a machine this fast for that much.  I didn't buy a discrete video card yet to save money as the motherboard has built in video.  I thought my old one was AGP, but I found that it is actually a PCIe.  So, I may be able to use it for now.  Surely it is faster than this built in board with shared memory.  The old one has 256 megs of RAM.  An update: According to Tom's Hardware guide, my old video card is six tiers better than the built in chip, so I will definately reinstall it on this machine.  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-radeon-hd-5570-gaming,2697-7.html The on board is a HD 4250 and the discreet card is a GeForce 7900 GS.  Gaming for me is more on the line of simulators with a few simple games.  I don't go ape-*** over graphics like some people do.  At the very least, I got to move up to Windows 7 Pro and I don't have to borrow my wife's laptop to do my homework anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment